Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Make Your Own Vanilla

The best vanilla is the one you make yourself.

Use 2 1/2 ounces of vodka or cognac for each vanilla bean.

Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and then crosswise exposing the black seeds. Place these cut pieces in an airtight bottle. Cover with vodka or brandy and store at room temperature. Shake the bottle twice a day for 2-3 weeks. The pure extract made this way has a lighter aroma and flavor but is superior to the vanilla that you buy at the store. The true vanilla essence comes out in baking. I will sometimes add it to my afternoon cup of coffee. Yum.

Fresh cognac or vodka can be added to the beans two or three times. After that new beans should be used.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting, making your own vanilla, but your are a better womam than me....I just go buy it cause I guess I am lazy...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding about homemade vanilla. I made it many years ago and it really isn't difficult and is so good!! Off to follow you!

    www.etsy.com/shop/boomerbabiesupcycles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to our Blogging Grannies Team. I will have to try the homemade vanilla because I refuse to buy the ones with high fructose corn syrup in them and so have been spending a lot of money on vanilla.
    I would appreciate you checking out my blog also. Have a terrific day!!
    chatterfromtexas.blogspot.com
    and
    Note Cards and Photos by Theresa

    ReplyDelete